Not only during the Pregnancy period there is a need of various Nutrients but also during lactation period(Milk Production and Secretion period). Nutritional requirements should be increased due to the milk secreted by mother is to feed the new born baby. Milk output varies in the lactating mother.
The Required Nutrients during Lactation Period are given under:
· It has been expected that the efficiency of conversion of diet calories to human milk calories is only 60 percent. On this basis, production of 420 milk calories will need 700 diet calories.
· For the production of 7.2 grams of milk proteins, about 14.4 grams of dietary proteins will be required.
· The quantity of calcium present in 600 ml of human milk is 205 mg. Since the retention of dietary calcium in lactating women is about 30 percent, the additional dietary calcium requirement will be about 700 mg per day.
· The iron content of 600 ml of human milk is about 0.72 mg. Since only about 20 percent of the dietary iron is retained in lactating women, it will be essential to provide about 3.6 mg of extra iron in the diet.
· The quantity of vitamin A is present in 600 ml of human milk is 300Mg(Microgram). It is recommended that an additional allowance of 400 Mg(Microgram)of vitamin A is required.
· Additional calorie requirements during lactation are 700 K calories. The extra requirements of nicotinic acid, riboflavin and thiamine to meet the needs of extra calories will be 0.3 mg thiamine, 0.4 mg of riboflavin and 4.6 mg of nicotinic acid per day.
· The quantity of ascorbic acid present in 600 ml of human milk will vary from 15-30 mg. It is recommended that an additional allowance of 30 mg of ascorbic acid.
· The quantities of folic acid and B12 vitamin present in 600 ml of human milk will be 6 Mg(Microgram) and 0.14 Mg(Microgram) respectively. It is recommended that an additional allowances of 50 Mg(Microgram) of folic acid and 0.5 Mg(Microgram) if B12 vitamin.